Field Report No. 20161123RC
Topic: #OptOutside and #ShopSmall
COMMENTS: At F&C, we've noticed that our mission is somewhat encapsulated by a couple of viral hashtags that will once again make their rounds this weekend. There's #OptOutside, the suggestion by REI to skip the weird stampedes on Black Friday and walk a trail instead, and there's #ShopSmall in favor of Small Business Saturday, a nod to the Main Street Mom-and-Pops that American Express has championed in recent years.
Sure: these efforts are, somewhat ironically, supported by a couple of big corporations, and that's not who we and our partners are. But even giants can make good partners from time to time (e.g., the Spokane REI is currently the fastest distributor of Field & Compass Magazine). And the sentiments behind both #OptOutside and #ShopSmall is perfectly in line with our mission to help locals and travelers enjoy uncommon experiences—in the woods, on the water, at the table, and with our dollars.
So, join us this weekend as we follow directions: choosing to get out in nature on Friday and giving local makers and sellers a big payday on Saturday. Below you'll find some suggestions across the territory of our seven short-lists. We're certainly proud of—and very thankful for—the wild, gorgeous places in our region and the co-op partnership with the small businesses and organizations we represent.
RECOMMENDATIONS: An #OptOutside and #ShopSmall pairing for each region... get out there and have some uncommon experiences.
- In Wenatchee, do something like this and then head here to shop for locally crafted items, or the very best footwear here.
- In Spokane, go have a quiet walk or ride here, and then go buy a book straight from a local author here, and all kinds of artisan goods at these spots.
- In Leavenworth, gain some elevation as weather allows, and buy awesome gifts here or here.
- In Coeur d'Alene, enjoy a hike or trail run up here for the best views of the lake, go get some books here, and then sip wine and buy jewelry and local art (at the same time) here.
- In Methow Valley, you can still bike a bit, nordic ski, or seek out passable trail, and then buy a variety of crafted items over here.
- In Central WA, go have a moment like this, and hit up this spot for great fashion.
- In Chelan, get your hike on and then find something uncommon in these places.